I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July weekend!
It’s that time of year again and this year it starts even a little earlier. The Preview mode has been available for the last week. Hopefully you’ve had a little time to take a glimpse. If not, stay tuned here and I’ll do my best to help guide you through the next week.
The hype for this sale really hit a peak in about 2017 when many bloggers and influencers caught on. In fact, that year the website went down! It’s easy to get inundated by all the opinions and they DO influence our decisions. Shop smart. I’m here to help you avoid impulsive shopping and buyer’s remorse!
July 6th begins the first day of the sale for cardholders of the three levels. Icon, Ambassador and Influencer. If you are not sure which day you can shop, make sure to check the website or look at your most recent statement. Everyone stayed the same level as last year. If you are NOT a card holder, I believe today is the last day to sign up to get Nordstrom Notes (gift certificate for future merchandise) which is a great deal.
My Best Advice:
I have shopped the Nordstrom sale as a customer since 1990. I have blogged about the sale since 2009. Working the sale as an employee from 2011-2016 gave me an even different perspective, and then starting in 2018 I joined the Independent Styling program the company offers which allows me to help clients by appointment in store or online. All this experience has given me really good insight, and I’m happy to share that along with my shopping expertise with you.
How to Shop the Preview:
While you may have been looking around in the Preview mode, I wanted to start by giving my best tips for shopping the sale. It is so easy to overbuy and re-buy similar pieces during this sale. Believe me I’ve done both! If you don’t have time to a complete inventory, at least start with shoes, denim or coats. Here’s why: Over the years, I’ve advised clients to put their shopping dollars into items that have the biggest discount. The reason this sale is so good is because Nordstrom is the only retailer who does Fall/winter merchandise in July at a discount of 25-40%. Other retailers have tried similar things; Nordstrom does it best. ANOTHER reason… when you see shoes reduced during the other sales, I never feel like the selection is the same, and sizes are limited. I’d say the same thing about Denim. Price matching can be really good throughout the year, but to find premium denim (if that is a priority ) for $149 vs over $200 is a win.
- Look at your wardrobe categories first: Shoes, Denim, Jacket, Coats, Tops etc.
- Next go through what you may need in the “Basics” category like Lingerie & Activewear.
- Shop by Category to ease the overwhelm and save time. During the Preview, make sure to click the yellow highlighted area or EVERYTHING will come up.
- Once I’m in the women’s section, I go through the categories which during the preview are nice headings across the top of the page. THEN go to price in the left hand column and put in your bench mark prices. This really stops the scroll!
- Put things in the wish list vs shopping cart. This helps you evaluate even more and then the yes items go in the shopping cart the day you can shop.
- Your shopping day actually starts at 12:01 EST on your day. (normally it was PST) Once you sign into your account you’ll see it every time you add something to the wish list. See photo below.
- Choose the “pick up in store” option if you have one nearby, but don’t expect for it to be ready in a few hours. It is an extremely busy time!
- Don’t be afraid to pay for expedited shipping. There can be major delays during the sale because things get so busy. It’s worth it.
- If your item sells out, buy another size or color and exchange later. I can give you a really easy way to do this. Consult me when the time comes if you try that option.
Now, enough advice, it’s time to look at the first category. I’m starting with Shoes and boots this year. I’ll then move into Outerwear, Denim, Jackets, Tops & Sweaters, Handbags & Accessories, Activewear, Men’s and Home. I can’t say this schedule will be exact because I do weigh how things are selling and may do a switch.
I GREATLY appreciate you using my link to go into the site. When you shop using a specific link I share or even the general links, I receive a small commission and I’m always grateful for your support. REMEMBER, when you leave the site or get interrupted with your shopping there are no guarantees a “cookie” is saved. You have to use a link again to go in. I know that is a little inconvenient but I think you. IF YOU CHOOSE SOMETHING DIFFERENT WHILE SHOPPING THE SITE THROUGH MY LINK, I STILL RECEIVE CREDIT. Again it is very much appreciated!
Last year various trends come into play. We are seeing a shift in boot styles for sure. The shaft of the boot is much higher than in years past, and I’m also seeing higher chunkier heels. The lug sole is very popular again. You’ll see a lot of the Chelsea boot style both casual and dressy. There is still a little of everything, so if you don’t like new trends, there is a large variety.
Happy Shopping! Send questions my way.
Next Up: Outerwear & Denim!